CEC meets CJ amid fake degree controversy

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Gazoo's note: Something is cooking there folks. Why would a former top man with election commission go to meet the CJ amid the fake degree cases? Is he carrying a 'safarish' not to pursue the case any more? Allah only knows.

CEC meets CJ amid fake degree controversy By Nasir Iqbal
Sunday, 01 Aug, 2010

CJ-608.JPG

Chief Election Commissioner Justice (r) Hamid Ali Mirza called on Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry.APP

ISLAMABAD: As the controversy over the verification of degrees of legislators rages, Chief Election Commissioner Justice (retd) Hamid Ali Mirza called on Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry on Saturday.

Although an official handout said it was a courtesy call during which they discussed judicial and institutional matters, legal observers are attaching great significance to the meeting, especially in the wake of a recent Supreme Courts verdict directing the Election Commission to deal with the matter under Section 78 of the Representation of Peoples Act (RPA) 1976.

The matters of mutual interest definitely include the hot topic revolving around fake degrees, a source privy to the meeting said.

Only the other day, the apex court had ordered initiation of proceedings against a legislator from Balochistan under the law laid down in the cases of Rizwan Gill and Mian Najeebuddin, which required the ECP to deal with the matter under Section 78 of the RPA 1976.

The law defines corrupt practices and describes false statement by a person in respect of his educational qualification as wrongdoing.

In the verdict, the court had held that the ECP had a demanding duty to ensure not only that elections were fair and honest; that no corrupt practices were practised, but also that the individuals who had been declared disqualified to enter legislative institutions should not be allowed to break into parliament.

The source said that the ECP under the Constitution was an independent body and it was its sole duty to work out a way to deal with the fake degrees issue and to implement the Supreme Courts verdict in letter and spirit.

The commission is likely to send cases of fake degree-holders to district and sessions courts through registrars of high courts.

Earlier, the ECP had taken the position that it could not take action against any lawmaker unless the Senate chairman or speakers of the national and provincial assemblies sent a reference against lawmakers.

Rana Tahir Mahmood

Senator (1k+ posts)
In my opinion, instead of floating any idea about such meeting, let us see the outcome of the meeting as we should not expect any game from CJ in this respect. If he will compromise on any such issue then his integrity will be at stack. I think he will not go to compromise on any such issue.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
In my opinion, instead of floating any idea about such meeting, let us see the outcome of the meeting as we should not expect any game from CJ in this respect. If he will compromise on any such issue then his integrity will be at stack. I think he will not go to compromise on any such issue.

The CJ may not compromise, but nonetheless the guest has gone to see him. Every body will be guessing and coming up with notion of something is going on there. You must be very naive to assume that our current corrupt rulers would leave any option to seek leniency from the top judge

Rana Tahir Mahmood

Senator (1k+ posts)
The CJ may not compromise, but nonetheless the guest has gone to see him. Every body will be guessing and coming up with notion of something is going on there. You must be very naive to assume that our current corrupt rulers would leave any option to seek leniency from the top judge

Thank you for your remarks but I am talking about CJ not Rulers. Rulers are already disobeying the Courts rulings by not accepting the Orders by the Supreme Court. It is certain that there would be some motive behind this meeting but If CJ will show some leniency and give some relief to the corrupt politicians then CJ will dis-heart all Law Abiding Pakistanis. This was my intention to put in this forum.