Britain must offer refuge to Asia Bibi says Boris Johnson

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
ritain should grant asylum to a persecuted Pakistani Christian woman and not be put off by concerns it would lead to unrest or attacks on UK embassies, Boris Johnson has said.The former Foreign Secretary said Asia Bibi had suffered “appalling treatment” because of her faith after she was wrongly sentenced to death for allegedly insulting the Prophet Mohammed.

640x426xasia-bibi-reuters-23423s.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dYGaCJb-8U.jpg

The 53-year-old Catholic was acquitted by Pakistan's supreme court last month, but remains in hiding and her release caused angry protests from hardline religious parties who want her hanged.In a letter to Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary, he said the mother-of-five had an “overwhelming claim for compassion from the British government”.

A UK campaign group supporting her claimed at the weekend that Britain had yet to offer asylum amid concerns it would prompt “unrest” and attacks on British embassies.“I cannot believe for a minute that these are considerations which should be allowed to prevail,” Mr Johnson told Mr Javid.

Asia Bibi's daughters and husband are also trying to seek refuge in the West CREDIT: AFP

He went on: “I am well aware, as a former Foreign Secretary, of the constant threat to our overseas missions, but we cannot allow the threat of violence to deter us from doing the right thing.”Several countries are thought to have already offered sanctuary. However Mrs Bibi is unable to leave Pakistan until the supreme court has heard a petition requesting a review of her acquittal.

Justin Trudeau, Canada's prime minister, said on Monday that his government was holding talks with Pakistan over potentially offering asylum to Mrs Bibi."There is a delicate domestic context that we respect which is why I don't want to say any more about that, but I will remind people Canada is a welcoming country," he told AFP.

Mr Johnson said in the letter dated November 12: “I do not think it is a dignified position for the UK, given our historic links with Pakistan and the extent of our influence there, to look to others to do what we are allegedly nervous to do ourselves.”

Hardline religious parties have won little electoral support in Pakistan, but managed to paralyse the country for three days after Mrs Bibi's acquittal.
A government deal to stop the disruption agreed to allow a petition challenging her acquittal. The petition is widely expected to fail.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/13/britain-must-offer-refuge-asia-bibi-says-boris-johnson/

Last edited by a moderator:

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
Also, note that the petition is drafted by mp Abdur Rehman Chisti, and there are several Muslim names on that list

lurker

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Her only value for the west is that she is an insulter of The Best of Creation peace be upon Him.
But she was acquitted of that charge. So in reality she didn't Insult anyone. ;) Unless you defy the verdict of the Highest court of Pakistan? And in a True Islamic state defying the Highest Court of an Islamic State is Treason.

Aslan

Thanks to the jahil molvis this issue is showing Pakistan in bad light.Pakistan is a beautiful country but due to jahil molvis and terrorism only negative image of Pakistan gets highlighted.

Aliimran1

Har takleef Kay baad rahat hai
Asia bi bi ki tu life set ho gai :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
But she was acquitted of that charge. So in reality she didn't Insult anyone. ;) Unless you defy the verdict of the Highest court of Pakistan? And in a True Islamic state defying the Highest Court of an Islamic State is Treason.
How come then that the sc has not punished witnesses for bearing false witness? By the law of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, their punishment is life in prison. What do you do with the highest court in the land that does not enforce its own laws?

So what is the problem then, why is the review being delayed? if sc believes in their judgment then set up the review and dispose of the case. What highest court in the land does then unnecessary delay a review that stops a citizen from leaving the country and puts its life in danger?

Go and sell that snake oil elsewhere!

lurker

How come then that the sc has not punished witnesses for bearing false witness? By the law of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, their punishment is life in prison. What do you do with the highest court in the land that does not enforce its own laws?

So what is the problem then, why is the review being delayed? if sc believes in their judgment then set up the review and dispose of the case. What highest court in the land does then unnecessary delay a review that stops a citizen from leaving the country and puts its life in danger?

Punishing the witnesses has to be put on hold because of the brilliant appeal filled by the defenders of Islam. :) And technically that is again the job of the lower courts to do. If and Until the matter is again brought to the Supreme court to adjudicate.

As for the Appeal, it has to go through due process. And as you witnessed how the sitting government got scared and capitulated to the Defenders of Islam, I am sure the supreme court saw this is a sitting duck Government who really has no power to control the mob. So its better to delay rather than adjudicate so quickly.

But until the appeal is not adjudicated, Asia Bibi is a free and innocent woman by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. You as a citizen of the state cannot override this sentence. Innocent Until Proven Guilty in a Court of Law. That's how it is. Unless this is a jungle?

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
technically that is again the job of the lower courts to do.
this is not correct. sc has for example disqualified candidates directly without the case going to lower courts. recently lanti saqib nisar said that panama case was not needed to be sent to lower courts. Remember khosa in minority judgment already punished nawaz sharif. sc did not punish they did not refer. my question remains what kinda supreme court does not uphold the law? my answer is a court that does not decide on merit

my other question also remains why this woman? how many other death row inmates are discussed in euro and British parliament?

پیر جی

Councller (250+ posts)
برطانیہ نے آسیہ کے معاملے پر کمزوری دکھای ہے، آسیہ کو پناہ دی جانی چاہئے کیونکہ یہ برطانیہ کی سنہری تاریخ ہے کہ ہر مظلوم کو ادھر پناہ دی جاتی ہے جس کے بعد وہ آزادی سے ایک خوش کن زندگی گزار سکتا ہے

ahrc2000

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

SC also has other cases pending. Or do you think SC should just rush through everything because some of the country men have a bad mood

ahrc2000

Also, the rest of the world would jump on an opportunity like this to highlight their humanitarian efforts. Its good marketing for them. Blame squarely falls on us, that we as a country let this issue, that was only a quarrel between village women, get so out of hand that others are trying to take advantage of it. If the pakistani people can not have faith in the courts, agree with their decision and let the woman live, then others will take advantage of your weakness.

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
SC also has other cases pending. Or do you think SC should just rush through everything because some of the country men have a bad mood
that lanti woman is in protective custody. Why should taxpayers have to pay to keep her safe? besides she is not allowed to leave isn't the sc suppose to protect basic rights? it is just a review, should take much time. I think they should put up the review immediately.

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
Also, the rest of the world would jump on an opportunity like this to highlight their humanitarian efforts. Its good marketing for them. Blame squarely falls on us, that we as a country let this issue, that was only a quarrel between village women, get so out of hand that others are trying to take advantage of it. If the pakistani people can not have faith in the courts, agree with their decision and let the woman live, then others will take advantage of your weakness.
so how many other quarrels between women are being discussed in western parliaments? or i will make it easier for you how many other pakistani humanitarian prisoners are being discussed in western parliaments?

ahrc2000

that lanti woman is in protective custody. Why should taxpayers have to pay to keep her safe? besides she is not allowed to leave isn't the sc suppose to protect basic rights? it is just a review, should take much time. I think they should put up the review immediately.

Yaar, how is she lanti. This is a difference of point of viewthat you and I have. SC heard the case, made a decision based on what evidence was present and gave their verdict. The matter should end there about any accusations against the woman. The reason why she is in protective custody is becasue good people like you are still calling her lanti. Others might take matters in their own hand. If salman taseer can be killed, this woman unprotected is no problem. You might not like the decision that was made, but that is a reality we have to accept, the stories you've heard otherwise you will have to disregard them and move on with your life. Simple and plain. If any judge or jury is not doing their job right, then they will be answerable to Allah. We have to learn to leave something for him to judge us on.

ahrc2000

so how many other quarrels between women are being discussed in western parliaments? or i will make it easier for you how many other pakistani humanitarian prisoners are being discussed in western parliaments?
As for this question, there are a number of other humanitarian efforts discussed in parliaments everywhere. those might be too hard to solve, so they end up being just that, discussions. This one could be an easy win for their marketing so they will push for it.

Navash

Senator (1k+ posts)
Yaar, how is she lanti. This is a difference of point of viewthat you and I have. SC heard the case, made a decision based on what evidence was present and gave their verdict. The matter should end there about any accusations against the woman. The reason why she is in protective custody is becasue good people like you are still calling her lanti. Others might take matters in their own hand. If salman taseer can be killed, this woman unprotected is no problem. You might not like the decision that was made, but that is a reality we have to accept, the stories you've heard otherwise you will have to disregard them and move on with your life. Simple and plain. If any judge or jury is not doing their job right, then they will be answerable to Allah. We have to learn to leave something for him to judge us on.

how should the matter end when there is still a review?

isn't therefore even more important to dispose of the matter when she is under threat?

Normally people complain that justice is delayed, but for this lanti woman, people are saying delay it indefinitely. what a joke!