As Foreigners Flee China, Pakistan Tells Its Citizens to Stay

knowledge88

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Suspicions that Pakistan was being overly obsequious grew last week after the country resumed commercial flights to China. Pakistani citizens with the means can return home if they test negative for coronavirus.

merlin_168711312_d0858a70-16df-48a5-a93d-68f65e1c2439-jumbo.jpg

On Twitter this week, Dr. Zafar Mirza, a senior health adviser to Pakistan’s prime minister, urged Pakistani nationals in China to remain calm.

The government is “discussing the situation at the highest level and will make the best decision in view of all factors, with reference to the devastating coronavirus potential global pandemic,” Dr. Mirza wrote. “Rest assured you are our own and we care!”
A Pakistani student stuck in Xianning, on the outskirts of Wuhan and appealing to be evacuated, shot back.

“Do you even a little care for us?” wrote the user, identified on Twitter only as Muhammad Ibraheem, who is studying medicine at Hubei University of Science and Technology. “Why don’t you kill all of us? It will be easy for you guys, or sell us to China. At least you will get some benefits. You left us to die here.”

In an interview, Mr. Ibraheem described a desperate situation in Xianning where he said medical supplies were running out as the death toll steadily ticked up. He and many other Pakistani students are running out of money to buy food as the banks are closed and A.T.M.s shuttered.

At the start of the outbreak, the government was so focused on containing the virus and putting the students — like much of the population — under lockdown that they forgot to provide basic support for Mr. Ibraheem and his peers, he said.

“We didn’t have water for three days. And then our university provided for us, but it was four liters of water for each student to last for five days,” he said, adding that he and his peers boiled nonpotable tap water when they ran out.

https://twitter.com/x/status/1226465198652841985
“The Pakistani government is not helping at all,” he said.
The Pakistani government declined to comment when reached.

Groups of students have resorted to videotaping their anxious pleas to the Pakistani government, asking to be evacuated.

In one video, a group of five masked students stand shoulder-to-shoulder.
“We request the Pakistani government, we are also your children,” one student says through a blue medical mask. “Please, please, please, support us and get us out of this place.”

Mr. Bhatti, who is from the Layyah, said he believes that by staying in Wuhan, he is doing his part to both keep himself safe and strengthen his country’s relationship with China.
“We decided to stay here and stand with this nation,” Mr. Bhatti said. “If they can fight, we can fight. We say in my country that Pakistan’s relationship with China is sweeter than honey and higher than the Himalayas.”

But still, the loneliness grates on him. Most days Mr. Bhatti idles in his room of the once-buzzing dormitory for international students. The large block building hosted hundreds of students from countries the world over. Now, only 127 students — all of them Pakistani — are left.
Just down the hall, four Pakistani students were infected last month after sharing a meal in one of their dorm rooms. Since then, students are forbidden from mingling. To break up the long days, Mr. Bhatti often walks down the hall to speak to his best friend through the window of his dorm room.

Mr. Bhatti described a situation as desperate as Mr. Ibraheem’s during the early days of the outbreak: students running out of food and barred from leaving the dormitory.
After hungry pleas from students, the school administration set up a system where Mr. Bhatti and other students can go to an office on campus and order what they need. He then retires to his room until a knock on the door signals his order has arrived, placed on the doorstep by an unseen delivery person, who speeds away.

Sometimes his mother calls while he is eating, but her anxiety stresses him out, he admits.
“My mother wants me home,” Mr. Bhatti said. “She is crying and praying for me and distributing food to poor people in our neighborhood so they can pray for me, too.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Altruist

Minister (2k+ posts)
Think through before arguing.

In Pakistan, you can't do a reliable blood test. What are you going to do if you bring them home and find some of them exposed?

mhafeez

Think through before arguing.

In Pakistan, you can't do a reliable blood test. What are you going to do if you bring them home and find some of them exposed?

وہاں پر ٹیسٹ کروا کر لے آئیں اور جن میں وائرس نہیں ہے ان کی موت کا انتظار ضرور کرنا ہے؟؟

kayawish

وہاں پر ٹیسٹ کروا کر لے آئیں اور جن میں وائرس نہیں ہے ان کی موت کا انتظار ضرور کرنا ہے؟؟
virus ka pata 15-20 din bad pata chalta hai.may be they are effected but symtoms not showing.

KhanBeijing

Voter (50+ posts)
bhai test ka pata 10 din k baad chalta hai. aur travel main zeada risk hai, because only few cities have direct flight access..so they have to use local transport..i means many people from different cities will arrive at airport and there will be around 200-500 people in flight..if any people infected in travel how they can detect virus? because this virus is detectable after 10-14 days, so how at airport they can decide they are without virus..except wuhan all other areas are allowed to travel, so why people are not traveling? think about it

islamabadi

Minister (2k+ posts)
The PTI minister of overseas Pakistani is only concerned with REMITTANCES of overseas Pakistanis....since these are students....their existance has ZERO value for this PTI govenrment of laantis.....every country has repatriated their students except Pakistan......ye hai teri govenrment ki asliyat.... Doubling taxes and prices.... and in return giving us NOTHING. ALll the money collected is going towards paying interest which this government ITSELF DOUBLED. This PTI is a curse upon us....

khwahish

Councller (250+ posts)
The PTI minister of overseas Pakistani is only concerned with REMITTANCES of overseas Pakistanis....since these are students....their existance has ZERO value for this PTI govenrment of laantis.....every country has repatriated their students except Pakistan......ye hai teri govenrment ki asliyat.... Doubling taxes and prices.... and in return giving us NOTHING. ALll the money collected is going towards paying interest which this government ITSELF DOUBLED. This PTI is a curse upon us....
Please don't Spread Rumors. Either you live on worldly principles or religious principles, the basic governing system of developed countries is based on almost Islamic principles.
The current domestic situation is not fair or suitable. As PPP + PMLN's Leaders did not fulfill their "responsibilities" in the same way that organizations and staff do not consider their responsibilities.

Last edited:

Vitamin_C

Keep them in isolation so they dont infect others just like every other country is doing. This does not require special technology, just a hospital ward with curfew imposed for 2-3 weeks.

What are you going to do if you bring them home and find some of them exposed?

Vitamin_C

Right decision and Islamic Ruling are two words that never fit in the same sentence.

That word is usually reserved to justify our bad decisions that defy science and common sense.

Pakistan has taken the right decision as per Islamic ruling.

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Right decision and Islamic Ruling are two words that never fit in the same sentence.

That word is usually reserved to justify our bad decisions that defy science and common sense.

Common sense is a sense that's not very common. The comment was meant for believers.

Vitamin_C

I understood that but I find it very frustrating that politicians manipulate people by using religion to justify their bad decisions.

Quran is a big book, many verses not understood or vague, and they can find verses in there and twist them anyway to justify their folly

Because people are so emotionally connected to their religious I think it is very unethical to take advantage of people like this.

Common sense is a sense that's not very common. The comment was meant for believers.

mhafeez

I understood that but I find it very frustrating that politicians manipulate people by using religion to justify their bad decisions.

Quran is a big book, many verses not understood or vague, and they can find verses in there and twist them anyway to justify their folly

Because people are so emotionally connected to their religious I think it is very unethical to take advantage of people like this.

دل کے ہسپتال بند کردیں ، جب اگلی دفعہ کسی کو دل کی تکلیف ہوئی تو عجوہ کھجور کی گٹھلی کھلائیں ، اللہ اللہ خیر صلا

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Quran is the easiest book for the understanding as declared by Allah Subhanahu Himself. The only thing we need is to learn from it employing our mind with sincerity. Anyone who tries to understand it through Hadees-O-Sunnah will have the truth with clarity. Allah gives guidance to the true path to only those who intend to.