Arab Revolt: Panic In Israel; by Haaretz (Israeli Leading Newspaper)

FaisalLatif

Councller (250+ posts)
(The article illustrates a panic in Israeli Government and public opinion in face of the Arab Revolts. They now resent not making peace with Palestine when it could pressure Palestinians through its friends like Mubarak and Ben Ali. They now realize that it would difficult for Israel to get away with aggression like it could in the past)

The occupation is even more dangerous than it was. The settlements are even more delusional than they were. The status quo has become a firetrap, and all the familiar ways of escaping it have been blocked.

By Ari Shavit

Say farewell to peace with Syria. Those who believe, like the writer of these lines, in the necessity of the Golan-for-peace formula cannot close their eyes to what is happening.

With the great Arab revolt threatening his regime, there is no chance that President Bashar Assad will choose the path of peace. With the Syrian masses rebelling against him, there is no chance that Assad will gamble on peace.

The Assad of 2011 lacks the legitimacy to negotiate for peace. The Assad of 2011 lacks the minimal maneuvering room needed to make peace. Even if he wanted peace when he was young, it's too late now. There's no chance that the Syrian dictator will carry out a Sadat-like peace move in the next year or two.

Say farewell to peace with Palestine. Those who believe, like the writer of these lines, in the necessity of the two-state solution cannot close their eyes to what is happening.

With the great Arab revolt sweeping up Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, there is no chance that he will pay the price needed to reach peace. With the Arab masses thronging the streets, Abbas cannot tell three million Palestinian refugees that he has forged a compromise on the right of return. With the Arab nations seething, Abbas cannot tell them he has compromised on Jerusalem.

The Abbas of 2011 lacks the legitimacy to make peace. The Abbas of 2011 lacks the minimal maneuvering room needed to make peace. Even if Abbas wanted peace, it's too late now. There's no chance that the moderate Palestinian leader will carry out a Sadat-like peace move in the next year or two.

Say farewell to a quiet environment. Even those who enjoy the quiet cannot close their eyes to what is happening. The great Arab revolt has yet to reach the occupied territories for three reasons: the trauma of Hamas' rise in the Gaza Strip, the economic prosperity fostered by PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, and the expectation that a Palestinian state will be established in September.

But the tide can't be held off forever. Sooner or later, the Arab revolt will reach the territories. When the expectation of a Palestinian state blows up in September, economic prosperity will not stave off a political tsunami.

It's impossible to know whether the scenario will be that of Tunisia, Egypt or the first intifada. But in any event, the quiet we have enjoyed is now being shattered. A torrent of rebellion will strike Israel.

Say farewell to everything you thought until January 2011. The Middle East has been transformed, root and branch. This is a new, fluid, revolutionary reality. There is no longer any foundation for a solid peace like that with Egypt. There are no longer any strong forces for peace like Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the Gulf emirates. There are no longer any potential peace partners like Assad and Mahmoud Abbas.

On the other hand, there is also no longer any option of deploying force against the rebellious masses. The occupation is even more dangerous than it was. The settlements are even more delusional than they were. The status quo has become a firetrap, and all the familiar ways of escaping it have been blocked.

U.S. President Barack Obama bears a share of the responsibility for this new situation. When he decided to play an active role in ousting Egypt's president, he didn't realize that as a result of this move, he would be forced within a month to fire Tomahawk missiles at Libya. He didn't understand that he was undermining the old Middle Eastern order without creating a new one. He didn't understand that he was dooming Israeli-Syrian peace and Israeli-Palestinian peace and endangering Israeli-Egyptian peace.

It could be that Obama acted correctly. Perhaps he will be remembered in the end as the great liberator of the Arab peoples. Nonetheless, the U.S. president must acknowledge the consequences of his actions. He must realize that this new historical situation requires a new diplomatic paradigm. What was right in 2010 is no longer correct in 2011.

This means that Obama must reject the false dichotomy of total impasse or total peace. He must reject the dichotomy of historic reconciliation or corrupting occupation. Instead, he must propose a new type of diplomatic path based on a partial Israeli withdrawal and the strengthening of Fayyad. In order to stop the Cairo revolution from setting Jerusalem on fire, Obama must urgently forge a third way.

Source: http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/israel-can-say-farewell-to-peace-1.351498

shamsheer

Senator (1k+ posts)
They want the muslims to think that Israelities are panicked and the arabs to feel that they are rising up. Remember US and its allies would never support any just muslim cause. In my opinion it is all orchestrated. They want to change the Arab regime and I do not know for what reason.

hans

Banned
They want the muslims to think that Israelities are panicked and the arabs to feel that they are rising up. Remember US and its allies would never support any just muslim cause. In my opinion it is all orchestrated. They want to change the Arab regime and I do not know for what reason.

Interesting, on one hand you are running scared in circle but don't know the reason for being scared???? That looks like an interesting logic.

<><><><><>><><>

Patient: Doctor ! Doctor... I am very sick, I might die soon....
Doctor: What's your problem?
Patient: I dont know!... u tell me.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

To capture and secure ARAMCO, the oil lifeline for the west. Very simple

shamsheer

Senator (1k+ posts)
Interesting, on one hand you are running scared in circle but don't know the reason for being scared???? That looks like an interesting logic.

<><><><><>><><>

Patient: Doctor ! Doctor... I am very sick, I might die soon....
Doctor: What's your problem?
Patient: I don’t know!... u tell me.

Hans- if you read my comments you will understand the logic. West will not support any just muslim cause and that is the bottom line. They are supportig Libian rebels (that I am 100% confident are created by them) for the independence of people from a tyrant? Does that make sense to you. If you have a little know how of the recent history you would know. So tell your doctor that I know becuase I am aware of my family history and your doctor can only go by book.

hans

Banned
My logic is what do you mean by Western Power are after Islam or Muslims... ????

What I have seen in my life time, a quadratically increased Muslim population in all Western Countries. Twice the number of Mosque... Right now every large City in the Western Hemisphere has a Mosque, in fact many mosque each catering different Fikkah.

Still we cry like little babies as if the Christendom is after our Asses.....

What more do you want, Free medical, Free Education, Liberty to go to your choice of Mosque, not to be worried that the other islamic group will attack your mosque. To a point say what you want in your mosque about other fikkah.... the best part is Even Ahmadiyya group is plump and happy.

Every one seems happy.. why cant you be happy????

Tell me..... Compare Mosque construction in USA and new Church building in Pakistan.... Prosecution of Muslim in USA, prosecution of Christian in Pakistan ... can you pull in the numbers.... and post it online. Or may I help you on this. Further Tell me How many Bible were burned in Pakistan... you want those number too?

Leave Aside Hindus.. those poor cant be counted as Human beings in Pakistan.

We should Fear
ALLAH Subhan Tala... may on the day of Judgment we are not judge for how we treat minorities of Pakistani origin.

A quick Reference for you .....

Muslims burn Bible in Pakistan
Near Faisalabad, Muslim extremists desecrated a church and burnt a Bible. Local Muslims come out in support of the devastated Christians.

Desecration at the church of St. Paul in the village ‘Chak 77-RB’,‘Lohekay’, about 30 kilometers from Faisalabad: on December 17, suspects burned a bible and other sacred texts, leaving a letter threatening Christians that they will "burn in the fire of hell" if they do not convert to Islam.

Last edited:

shamsheer

Senator (1k+ posts)
My logic is what do you mean by Western Power are after Islam or Muslims... ????

What I have seen in my life time, a quadratically increased Muslim population in all Western Countries. Twice the number of Mosque... Right now every large City in the Western Hemisphere has a Mosque, in fact many mosque each catering different Fikkah.

Still we cry like little babies as if the Christendom is after our Asses.....

What more do you want, Free medical, Free Education, Liberty to go to your choice of Mosque, not to be worried that the other islamic group will attack your mosque. To a point say what you want in your mosque about other fikkah.... the best part is Even Ahmadiyya group is plump and happy.

Every one seems happy.. why cant you be happy????

Tell me..... Compare Mosque construction in USA and new Church building in Pakistan.... Prosecution of Muslim in USA, prosecution of Christian in Pakistan ... can you pull in the numbers.... and post it online. Or may I help you on this. Further Tell me How many Bible were burned in Pakistan... you want those number too?

Leave Aside Hindus.. those poor cant be counted as Human beings in Pakistan.

We should Fear
ALLAH Subhan Tala... may on the day of Judgment we are not judge for how we treat minorities of Pakistani origin.

Brother Hans living in the west I cannot disagree with what ever you have said. I have always been a critic of muslims more than others. I believe what ever they are doing, they are doing it because they believe in it and they are steadfast to it. They have given all the civil liberties to muslims in their countries. I am afraid to defer with a maslak in Pakistan but not to defer to a christian or a jew or a hindu in the west. All you have said is absolutely correct. I perform my prayers at all of their airports without any fear of being admonished but in a mulim country a non muslim cannot follow their religion the same way.

Whatever I mentioned about this current arab revolution is my personal opinion and since I do not have much material to support it I mentioned that I do not know why. They did not help people of Bosnia or Kashmir or Palestine or any where else where muslims are supressed. They have their vested interest in the arab revolt. I cannot believe that arabs have risen all of sudden. Libya is a prime example. When the revolt started failing they provided military support. Why? These are the pointers that made me believe what ever I said. You have all the right to disagree. As far as blaming the west for all of our problem, I see to eye to eye with you. We are the main cause of all of our problems and the people of west are the main victim becuase through our behavior we have set an example in the world that people are getting away from the deen that should have been a blessing for the whole mankind. We were suppose to be the messengers but the message that we are giving to this world is not what was intended.