5,000+ cases, 200+ deaths, no lockdown | Sweden's COVID-19 experiment

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

With billions across the world under lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic, one country stands almost alone. In Sweden, daily life has been continuing largely as normal as authorities have taken a radically different approach to tackling the virus.

Though gatherings of more than 50 were banned on Sunday, down from 500 previously, restaurants, bars and shops are still serving customers.

And while high schools and universities have closed their doors, the country is one of the few places in western Europe where primary schools remain open.

Sweden has recorded more than 4,400 coronavirus cases and 180 deaths. But the government has asked only those who are sick or in at-risk groups to stay home

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven has urged people to “take responsibility” by following health guidelines such as regular hand washing and to self-isolate if sick rather than enforce strict social distancing measures.

Polls have shown most Swedes support the government’s relaxed approach.

"We trust our government and trust the system in a way that other countries maybe don't as strongly, so maybe that also plays a part in why Sweden doesn't feel that it's necessary to put such forceful measures until the case worsens,” Stockholm resident Ida told AFP.

But there are signs of growing dissent amid fears Sweden could be exposing itself to extreme danger.

Last week, a group of senior Swedish healthcare officials sent a letter to the government calling for stronger measures.

"Our nation should not be the exception in Europe,” the letter said. “We request that our government takes action now!"

Last edited by a moderator:

arafay

Interesting approach. Basically they are going for herd immunity. As long as people over 60 stay isolated, I believe this approach is best way to deal with covid-19 until vaccine is available. The idea is to let people get the virus and develop immunity. The fatality rate among younger people (less than 50) is about 0.2% which means only 2 in 1000 people will die. If the govt can take this risk, i.e. sacrifice 2000 people, they can make 1000,000 people immune to the virus. Once 70% of the population develops immunity, the virus will die because it will not find a human host in which can thrive.

The key is to lock-down all population over 60 to minimize fatalities. I think Sweden is a mature and disciplined nation - they might just pull this off!

kayawish

Interesting approach. Basically they are going for herd immunity. As long as people over 60 stay isolated, I believe this approach is best way to deal with covid-19 until vaccine is available. The idea is to let people get the virus and develop immunity. The fatality rate among younger people (less than 50) is about 0.2% which means only 2 in 1000 people will die. If the govt can take this risk, i.e. sacrifice 2000 people, they can make 1000,000 people immune to the virus. Once 70% of the population develops immunity, the virus will die because it will not find a human host in which can thrive.

The key is to lock-down all population over 60 to minimize fatalities. I think Sweden is a mature and disciplined nation - they might just pull this off!
the virus is changing its shape and now even young people dying.dont you watch news ???

Shahid Abassi

It will work because people of Scandinavia are much more mature and disciplined; and individually they take more responsibility than people of other nations would do.

NasNY

Switzerland has a well developed healthcare system and a very small population of about 8 million Every city has a less than a half a million people

so it will not over whelm the healthcare system.

Its a correct approach but it can get out of hand if not monitored.

MHAMZA

Minister (2k+ posts)
Very interesting indeed ...
If the citizens respond with discipline and responsibility .. this might work and save the Gov the headache of an economic downfall .. best of luck Swedish people ..

Notpersonal

Minister (2k+ posts)

Disagree with ur thoughts about immunity theory , all offices were closed in Sweden from last week of feb , all doctor appointments cancelled , children scheduled visits to hospitals cancelled , border closed Denmark and Norway , gym and most restaurants closed ,
The only thing they have not done is official lockdown , kindergardens are open but with a very mild symptom ur child hsve to stay at home for a week ,
No gov in the world specially Sweden has any plans for their citizens to get Corona and get immunity strong that way , infact Sweden has passed a bill to receive full salary payment to encourage people at stay at home ,

But do agrees that its much more relaxed than neighbouring countries , i think u have missed the news that young people , doctors , children are also dying becsuse of Crona , A skin specislist explained me the term "underlying health condition " can be anything which this virus can attack to cause organ fsilure and death , Allah may protect us all , Muslim wont be given gusal or Janaza incase of death , that is scary and sad

Last edited:

naeemo

Voter (50+ posts)
I am living in Sweden. All institutions are functioning condition. Most of the people working from their home without any break and complete their hours. Main Hospitals and local hospitals are working. Yes universities and colleges are closed. Kids schools are open. Restaurants are open. Actually people follow government orders. So, according to government statement, people should take their own responsibility and measures all protective steps.

Khan125

One of the world's most disciplined nation, well educated and socially well aware society, they can handle it that way.