Siasat.pk Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Punishment for Blasphemy in the Light of Religious Scriptures

Punishment for Blasphemy in the Light of Religious Scriptures

Pakistan is the land of hot issues it would not be a false statement at all. Whether it is the religious, political, economic or social issues; Pakistan is the place you will find on top of all. Lately, the issue of blasphemy has arisen when a session court (lower court) sentence Asiya Bibi (who was Christian by faith) to death after finding her guilty her of sacrilegious comments.

The debate of repealing this law has come out of blue this time after 2-3 decades of legislation regarding. There are several opinions regarding this blasphemy act 295 (c) of the constitution of Islamic Republic of Pakistan. There are oodles of angles to this law, whether it be religious, democratic, political or human right.

We have gathered some evidences from the Quran, Hadith, Sunnah and history (compiled by historians) for the exact punishment for blasphemy. This will also answer the most asked question “What Muhammad (S.A.W) would have done?” “How he would have responded?” and many supplementary questions like “What Quran says?”, “Is there any evidence in Hadith?” and “What other religions say about blasphemy?”

Let’s start from a Quranic verse:
    The above verse of Surah e Ahzab (Chapter 33:6) shows the right of a Allah’s Apostle Muhammad (S.A.W) on Muslims. It is clear from the word of GOD that Muhammad (S.A.W) has more right over our lives and closest of relations.

The following Reference of Holy Quran Chapter 4 V 65 was revealed when a man was beheaded by the Hazrat Umar (R.A) due to non compliance of judgment given by Holy prophet Mohammad (S.A.W).
    Context of Revelation (Chapter 4, V 65):

Al-Hafiz Abu Ishaq Ibrahim bin `Abdur-Rahman bin Ibrahim bin Duhaym recorded that Damrah narrated that two men took their dispute to the Prophet , and he gave a judgment to the benefit of whoever among them had the right. The person who lost the dispute said, “I do not agree.” The other person asked him, “What do you want then” He said, “Let us go to Abu Bakr As-Siddiq.” They went to Abu Bakr and the person who won the dispute said, “We went to the Prophet with our dispute and he issued a decision in my favor.” Abu Bakr said, “Then the decision is that which theMessenger of Allah issued.” The person who lost the dispute still rejected the decision and said, “Let us go to `Umar bin Al-Khattab.” When they went to `Umar, the person who won the dispute said, “We took our dispute to the Prophet and he decided in my favor, but this man refused to submit to the decision.” `Umar bin Al-Khattab asked the second man and he concurred. `Umar went to his house and emerged from it holding aloft his sword. He struck the head of the man who rejected the Prophet’s decision with the sword and killed him.

Consequently, Allah revealed, the aforementioned verse.[Context taken from Tafseer Ibn-e-Kathir]

Let’s get to another verse where Allah (SWT) announces the punishment for enemies (of ALLAH and His Apostle) and who so ever attributes disgrace to Allah and His Apostle Mohammad (S.A.W).
    May we present another verse from the Quran where Allah immediately answers to the sacrilegious comment made by the blood relative (uncle) of Allah’s Apostle Mohammad (S.A.W).
    Context of Revelation

Abu Lahab (Father of Flame) was the nickname of ‘Abd Al-’Uzza, the Holy Prophet’s uncle and his inveterate enemy and persecutor. He was so called either because his complexion and hair were ruddy or also because he had a fiery temper. The Surah recalls an incident during the early preaching of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W). On being commanded by Allah (S.W.T) to call together his relatives and to deliver to them the Divine Message, the Holy Prophet, one day, stood on mount Safa and called the different Meccan (Makkah’s) tribes by name, the tribes of Luwayy, Murrah, Kilab and Qusayy and his near relatives, and told them that he is God’s Messenger, and that if they did not accept his Message and did not give up their evil ways, Divine punishment would overtake them. The Holy Prophet had hardly his speech, when Abu Lahab stood up and said, ‘Ruin seize thee, is it for this that thou hast called us together’ (Bukhari).

Another precedent from the Holy Quran where Allah (SWT) directly replied to Waleed bin Mughaira, who called Mohammad (S.A.W) Majnoon (Insane) by uncovering the hidden truth regarding his illegitimate birth upon him.
    Now let’s move to the evidences from Hadiths.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 372:

Narrated Al-Bara:
    Allah’s Apostle sent ‘Abdullah bin ‘Atik and ‘Abdullah bin ‘Utba with a group of men to Abu Rafi (to kill him). They proceeded till they approached his castle, whereupon Abdullah bin Atik said to them, “Wait (here), and in the meantime I will go and see.” ‘Abdullah said later on, “I played a trick in order to enter the castle. By chance, they lost a donkey of theirs and came out carrying a flaming light to search for it. I was afraid that they would recognize me, so I covered my head and legs and pretended to answer the call to nature. The gatekeeper called, ‘Whoever wants to come in, should come in before I close the gate.’ So I went in and hid myself in a stall of a donkey near the gate of the castle. They took their supper with Abu Rafi and had a chat till late at night. Then they went back to their homes. When the voices vanished and I no longer detected any movement, I came out. I had seen where the gate-keeper had kept the key of the castle in a hole in the wall. I took it and unlocked the gate of the castle, saying to myself, ‘If these people should notice me, I will run away easily.’ Then I locked all the doors of their houses from outside while they were inside, and ascended to Abu Rafi by a staircase. I saw the house in complete darkness with its light off, and I could not know where the man was. So I called, ‘O Abu Rafi!’ He replied, ‘Who is it?’ I proceeded towards the voice and hit him. He cried loudly but my blow was futile. Then I came to him, pretending to help him, saying with a different tone of my voice, ‘ What is wrong with you, O Abu Rafi?’ He said, ‘Are you not surprised? Woe on your mother! A man has come to me and hit me with a sword!’ So again I aimed at him and hit him, but the blow proved futile again, and on that Abu Rafi cried loudly and his wife got up. I came again and changed my voice as if I were a helper, and found Abu Rafi lying straight on his back, so I drove the sword into his belly and bent on it till I heard the sound of a bone break. Then I came out, filled with astonishment and went to the staircase to descend, but I fell down from it and got my leg dislocated. I bandaged it and went to my companions limping. I said (to them), ‘Go and tell Allah’s Apostle of this good news, but I will not leave (this place) till I hear the news of his (i.e. Abu Rafi’s) death.’ When dawn broke, an announcer of death got over the wall and announced, ‘I convey to you the news of Abu Rafi’s death.’ I got up and proceeded without feeling any pain till I caught up with my companions before they reached the Prophet to whom I conveyed the good news.”

At the conquest of Makkah:

Holy prophet Mohammad (S.A.W) announced general amnesty to all except those who were guilty of blasphemous acts and sacrilegious statements, Ibn e Khatal was one of the convict (Tareekh-e-Tabari Page 104 / History written by Al Tabari) This is evident from the following Hadith.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 582:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

On the day of the Conquest, the Prophet entered Mecca, wearing a helmet on his head. When he took it off, a man came and said, “Ibn e Khatal is clinging to the curtain of the Ka’ba.” The Prophet said, “Kill him.”

Sahih Bukahri Volume 5, Book 59, Number 369:

Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah:

Allah’s Apostle said, “Who is willing to kill Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?” Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, “O Allah’s Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?” The Prophet said, “Yes,” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab). “The Prophet said, “You may say it.” Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Kab and said, “That man (i.e. Muhammad demands Sadaqa (i.e. Zakat) from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you.” On that, Kab said, “By Allah, you will get tired of him!” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Now as we have followed him, we do not want to leave him unless and until we see how his end is going to be. Now we want you to lend us a camel load or two of food.”

(Some difference between narrators about a camel load or two.) Kab said, “Yes, (I will lend you), but you should mortgage something to me.” Muhammad bin Mas-lama and his companion said, “What do you want?” Ka’b replied, “Mortgage your women to me.” They said, “How can we mortgage our women to you and you are the most handsome of the ‘Arabs?” Ka’b said, “Then mortgage your sons to me.” They said, “How can we mortgage our sons to you? Later they would be abused by the people’s saying that so-and-so has been mortgaged for a camel load of food. That would cause us great disgrace, but we will mortgage our arms to you. “Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion promised Kab that Muhammad would return to him. He came to Kab at night along with Kab’s foster brother, Abu Na’ila. Kab invited them to come into his fort, and then he went down to them. His wife asked him, “Where are you going at this time?” Kab replied, “None but Muhammad bin Maslama and my (foster) brother Abu Na’ila have come.”

His wife said, “I hear a voice as if dropping blood is from him, Ka’b said. “They are none but my brother Muhammad bin Maslama and my foster brother Abu Naila. A generous man should respond to a call at night even if invited to be killed.” Muhammad bin Maslama went with two men. (Some narrators mention the men as ‘Abu bin Jabr. Al Harith bin Aus and Abbad bin Bishr). So Muhammad bin Maslama went in together with two men, and sail to them, “When Ka’b comes, I will touch his hair and smell it, and when you see that I have got hold of his head, strip him. I will let you smell his head.” Kab bin Al-Ashraf came down to them wrapped in his clothes, and diffusing perfume. Muhammad bin Maslama said. “have never smelt a better scent than this. Ka’b replied. “I have got the best Arab women who know how to use the high class of perfume.” Muhammad bin Maslama requested Ka’b “Will you allow me to smell your head?” Ka’b said, “Yes.” Muhammad smelt it and made his companions smell it as well. Then he requested Ka’b again, “Will you let me (smell your head)?” Ka’b said, “Yes.” When Muhammad got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), “Get at him!” So they killed him and went to the Prophet and informed him. (Abu Rafi) was killed after Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf.”

Punishment in Bible for blasphemy:

The punishment for blasphemy in most of the major religions is death. It is stated in the Old Testament of the Bible, which is the authority for both the Jews and the Christians:

And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: [Book of Leviticus 24:16]

A reference from Hindu Scripture:

“If a man born of a lower class intentionally bothers a priest, the king should punish him physically with various forms of corporal and capital punishment that make men shudder.” [Manusmriti 9:248]

Conclusion:

It is evident from the above references that the punishment for the act of blasphemy in any religion or any form is very severe. Hence, people who are waging a campaign against the article 295 (c) of the constitution to repeal the said law, is not aligned with Islamic, Christianity and Hinduism religious law.

The current law is compliant with the ethical and moral values of society Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

In a nutshell, this law should stay in place to prevent blasphemous acts. But by no means,anyone should be allowed to use this law for personal vendetta or misuse it. Procedural changes should be made with the consent of Ulema to prevent the misuse of the underlying law.

Source:
    http://awgilani.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/blasphemy/

Last edited by Adeel; 19-Jan-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Please always give source of where you pick the article from. The owner has complained about it. Please be careful in future.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Punishment for Blasphemy in the Light of Religious Scriptures

Post Thanks / Like

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

Qiasermirza you live in Canada? You more than likely are protected by rights which are given to every Canadian citizen, correct? What if they take away your rights and every time you say anything against Jesus Christ, you slammed behind bar or given the death panelty. Better yet can the extremist who are gone mad, especially in Pakistan ever give a non-Muslims even 1% of rights that you enjoy in Canada?

Post Thanks / Like

you have to love hazrat umar (ra) he was so decisive with those who disrespect the prophet (saw). I hope we learn from the sahaba (ra) the love of the prophet (saw)

Post Thanks / Like

Bismilla ir Rahman ir Raheem.

@flyhigh... debate is not regarding being muslims or non muslims.. the only thing is that what is the sentence for those who mock prophets or Prophet Muhammad sallal laahu alaihi wasallam....the other thing is that if you are living in a country you should follow and respect the rules of that country wheter you are muslim or non muslim.. and if due to some religous or cultural or any other compulsion you can not live in that country you must leave the country but at least you must not violate the law of that country, and if you are violating you must be ready for the consequences....So brother....blashphemy law is the law of Islam Republic of Paksitan...muslims or nonmuslim will have to follow the law...if they can not follow they must be petient instead of violating law. is it clear???? You are asking for 1% of the rights you are enjoying in US or Canada....and we as a citizen of Paksitan and mulims asking you 1% respect of laws out of 100% you are giving to American Laws.....furthermore there is no doubt that human rights condition in Pakistan is worst but you also must understand that european and muslim value are different too...You have no problem if someone burn quran or arrange draw Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) day...but muslims and people of Pakistan can not bear this type of activities on the name of Human rights...So keep enjoying human rights in US and Canada... and dont instigate us to violate our Islamic and state LAWS.... wassalam
    Last edited by such bolo; 05-Jan-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

such bolo I was just comparing situations, nothing less nothing more. We are bound to face such consequences when the guy who made this law was himself illegal ruler of the country, I mean Zia Ul Haq. How can you leave up to the Jahil that roam our streets and their followers. We have a population who love to shout for these laws but never follow simple rules. so many people have used this laws to punish who ever they want. You think any of our so called Islamic scholars have the guts to say "time-out", lets see what we can do improve this laws, none, nada Zilch. As far as the originator of this thread is concerned, I can bet you a million dollars he and his family can never even think about living under the terrrorist Taliban rule. Because if he could he would be lving in sudan, Afghanistan or North Waziristan instead of Canada. I gave his example because he started the thread but I know lots of families who day in and day out are critical of these western nations societies but will never go back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
    Qiasermirza you live in Canada? You more than likely are protected by rights which are given to every Canadian citizen, correct? What if they take away your rights and every time you say anything against Jesus Christ, you slammed behind bar or given the death panelty. Better yet can the extremist who are gone mad, especially in Pakistan ever give a non-Muslims even 1% of rights that you enjoy in Canada?

Buddy as far as i know there is nowhere mentioned in the Blasphemy law of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan that if a NON MUSLIM does it then he will be punished it is for everyone so u cant say that only non muslims are punished. And for your satisfaction, Brother has also provided references from various sources and from other religions too. I hope u understand my point

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
    such bolo I was just comparing situations, nothing less nothing more. We are bound to face such consequences when the guy who made this law was himself illegal ruler of the country, I mean Zia Ul Haq. How can you leave up to the Jahil that roam our streets and their followers. We have a population who love to shout for these laws but never follow simple rules. so many people have used this laws to punish who ever they want. You think any of our so called Islamic scholars have the guts to say "time-out", lets see what we can do improve this laws, none, nada Zilch. As far as the originator of this thread is concerned, I can bet you a million dollars he and his family can never even think about living under the terrrorist Taliban rule. Because if he could he would be lving in sudan, Afghanistan or North Waziristan instead of Canada. I gave his example because he started the thread but I know lots of families who day in and day out are critical of these western nations societies but will never go back.

There is no Taliban no Al Qaida mind u. These are the myths created by USA to bypass chinese power as far as i have read (u would remember that usama bin laden was the most favorite person during afghan russia war and USA supported him). If they dont put these things in front of people then they wont have purpose to stay here in afghanistan. Dont just believe on what you see on their media as they wont let u see the real face and somehow u know all this very well but u wont admit. The Law was not created by Zia ul Haq it is based on Quran and Hadith (May ALLAH forgive me if I am wrong AAMEEN) and if there was anything wrong with it then many Ulma would have given fatwa against it. If u have any doubt you should do some research instead of saying this and that. If the definition of terrorist is "a person who kill innocent people" then What would u say about this that drone attacks kill 1 terrorist and 50 innocent people. i m sure u would think about it instead of getting mad. I hope u got it

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not say I was against the law but I said it is being used to take revenge or get the minority. So you say there are no Taliban and Al Qaida? Then why are the so called Ullama finding it hard to say these are just killers period. So Muslim Khan and Mualana FM of Swat are ghosts released by the West? These shameless people have killed thousands of Pakistanis and because of them we are facing the drone attacks. Will post on this got to go, Allah Hafiz.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Salam!

I have a couple of questions for my learned brothers just for educational purpose;

Where exactly does the Qur'an state the punishment for blasphemy of the Prophet[s] (استہراء رسولﷺ) is death? Let me show you what kind of evidence I'm looking for. Allaah Ta'aala states: As to the thief, Male or female, cut off his or her hands: a punishment by way of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power. [Al-Qur'an, 5:38] Notice the clarity with which the punishment is described leaving no or little room for further explanation. Yet this ayah concerns steeling, murder is a greater crime which certainly deserves to be stated out with even more clarity and un-ambiguity.

So I ask, in light of forgone explanation: where does the Qur'an say something like 'As for those who blaspheme, slaughter them'? Remember, Allaah's orders (ahkam) with respect to punishments (hudood) are always clear cut minus any un-certainty, if blasphemy necessitates death then where is this clear cut order (hukm)?

Secondly, who has given individuals, lay-men, the right to carry out murders when Allaah Ta'aala so clearly states: Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except with justice. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, we have given his heir authority (to demand qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the Law). [Al-Qur'an, 17:33] Every soul is sacred in the eyes of Allaah Ta'aala and no life can be taken except after due process of justice which includes witnesses against and testimony of the accused person, only after he be given every right to defend himself as citizen in a society of Islamic social justice, then only can the court alone pass due verdict.

So is it legal to just accuse anyone of 'blasphemy' and then go on to slay him without actually proving his 'guilt'?

Though I've never been a fan of Salman Taseer, all he did was express his own opinion to which he was more than entitled to. He had doubts regarding the blasphemy law and to be fair, I too have my doubts just by looking at the kind of evidence people have come up with quoting Surah Lahab etc. Perhaps the closest verse to anything like a 'blasphemy law' is Surah Maidah, 5:33, but even it gives four options including exile, so why kill the guy? And even that ayah is followed by the glad-tiding of repentance.

Did anyone of these overzealous mullahs even try to change his views by guiding him to the right opinion. Our mullahs, I'm sorry to say, are nothing but cry-babies and a bunch of emotional idiots, and so are those who sheepishly follow their slogans. These guys don't care about Islam or it's global image, all they care for is their over-grown tummies and self-suiting agendas, leading them to extremism and terrorism which has no place in religion.

And that is my opinion to which well entitled!

Salam!

Professional
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear friends, please see the following link for my explanantion of same issue.

http://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthrea...-Blasphemy-Law

In my view in the light oof the quran and the hadith blasphemy law is anti islam.

regards and all the best.

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

Let us discuss it with open heart. Where in Quran, first of all, as Hud, it is mentioned that
    a) anyone who makes blasphemy should be killed;
    b) anyone who makes blasphemy should be killed by anyone without adopting normal justice;
    c) Even in the life time, people used to call our Prophet(PBUH) with title, peot etc. etc.
    so did they all were killed;
    d) Surah Mahida Ayat contains the arabic word (Harb), does blasphemy is Harb;

e) We eat danish cookies, admire little mermaid, and kill our own people; what
    a duplicity.
    Last edited by babadeena; 05-Jan-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Professional
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QaiserMirza View Post
    Qaiser bhai is hadith mein to Allah gawaahi de raha hai yahoodiyun ki gustaakhi ki phir bhi un logun ko qatal nahin kiya gaya. Zara sochen to kiya aisi baat drust ho sakti hai? Yeh baat ham ko bataa rahi hai keh gustaakhi ki bunyaad par kisi ko qatal karna ghalat baat hai.

regards and all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Salam!

Another question popped up in my mind, that is; if blasphemy against Allaah Ta'aala can be left un-punished then why not blasphemy against His agent[s], because as I understand: both cases fall under rights of God (huqooqu'Allaah) that are to be left upon the Almighty to deal with. For example, Christians 'blaspheme' when they assert Christ Jesus[p] was "God-Begotten', but even under Islamic states no punishment for this blasphemy is invoked.

Now people have produced some isolated ahadith in support of slaughter, of such I ask: Were not all pagan Meccans, in fact whole of Arabia guilty of blasphemy against Allaah's Messenger[s]? Of course they were, so did Rasoolu'Allaah[s] at the conquest of Makkah prescribe upon all of them the punishment of death? Ne'er, rather he forgave them all except the most notorious among them who were involved in other heinous crimes.

My question is: If this 'blasphemy law' was ordained by Allaah Ta'aala then why did not His Messenger[s] implement it when we know it's not possible for the Prophet[s] to alter what Allaah Ta'aala had prescribed?

Post Thanks / Like

this should have been done 3 years back, he was the worst, MAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH SAVE OUR BELOVED HOME LAND FROM THOSE CRIMINALS. waiting for the next....

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

Jaysing,
    hang around please. Just read the following verse which Allah orders us to do:
    Revile not those unto whom they pray beside Allah lest they wrongfully
    revile Allah through ignorance. Thus unto every nation have We made
    their deed seem fair. Then unto their Lord is their return, and He will
    tell them what they used to do. (6:108)

YOU STILL HAVE ANY DOUBT?

Post Thanks / Like

Salam Jaysingh,

I do agree with you that Hinduism, certainly after Purannic influence, allows for multiplicity of faith. Though this isn't the right place for interfaith dialog, let me just coment on what you say with regards to the Qur'an as I don't think it contains anything which would cause distress to non-believing reader. In fact it says: Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides God, lest they out of spite revile Allah in their ignorance. Thus have We made alluring to each people its own doings. In the end will they return to their Lord, and We shall then tell them the truth of all that they did. [Al-Qur'an, 6:108]

Post Thanks / Like

Salam,

Yes the Qur'an does speak against Idolatry but let face it, it's something worthy to be spoken against as it subjugates man, supposedly the loftiest of creatures, to self-made products, and I don't wanna sound like abusing but you just have to face the facts and acknowledge the truth, even if you abhor it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast