Siasat.pk Forums
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

An Adabi Thread - Share your favorite books

Brothers!! let's share our favorite literary books with each other. The purpose is to get those reading againg... who stopped the reading habbit after intense internet usage..

As I am the thread initiator here I go with my Urdu books, unfortunately my English literature reading is limited to Sidney Sheldon's and some other writers' but hopefully I will get inspiration from you guys and would come to know & read some good stuff....

Urdu

• Gadariya (Short story)- Ashfaq Ahmed
    • Nadar looag (Novel) - Abdullah Hussain
    • Ali Pur ka aili (Autobiography) - Mumtaz Mufti
    • Raja Gidh (Novel) - Bano Qudsia
    • Shahab Nama - (Autobiography) - Qudrat ullah Shahab
    • Jangloos (Novel) - Shauket Siddiqui
    • Bajang Amad - Col. Muhammad Khan

English

• Sea Phoenix (Story of a midget (small submarine) that sank and was raised by Pakistan Navy) - Admiral Mian Zaheer Shah
    • Bubbles of Water (Naval Anecdotes) - Admiral Mian Zaheer Shah

Last edited by TruPakistani; 13-Jul-2012 at 09:55 PM.

2. Likes umairel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An Adabi Thread - Share your favorite books

how come u didn't even share a single book of A.M.IQBAL
    Payam -e- Mashriq
    Bang -e- Dra
    Asrar -o- Ramooz
    & the one im reading these days is "THREE CUPS OF TEA" by Greg Mortenson,from a mountain-climber to a humanitarian in Pakistan & Afghanistan .

4. Thanks cefspan thanked for this post
    Likes Jarral liked this post

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

Udas NasleiN (Abdullah Hussain)
    Raja Gidh (Bano Qudsiya)
    Shahab Nama (Qudratulllah Shahab)
    MeiN ne Dhaka Doobtey Dekha (Siddique Salik)
    Urdu Ki Aakhri Kitab (Ibn-e-Insha)
    Pyar ka pehla Shaher (Mustansar Hussain Tarar)

Need time to read "Aag ka Dariya" of Qurratul Ain Haider.

Professional
    Post Thanks / Like

دھرتی کا سفر------قمر اجنالوی
    چاہ بابل-------------
    مقدس مورتی-----------
    اے بریف ہسٹری آف ٹائم ----سٹیفن ہاکنگ

Post Thanks / Like

@khan Haripur, sorry dear I am not fan of poetry, so didn't read Iqbal's books.

@Aijaz bhai Udas Naslain is also good read, but if you didn't read Nadar Loag you should read it, I hope you will like it. I didn't read Quratul ain Hadier but want to read her. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Iqbal books.

Zinda rood

Asfaq Ahmed

Qudrat ullah Shahab - books

And above all Quran. ( Al hamdu Lillah)

9. Likes barshad liked this post

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waseem View Post
    @khan Haripur, sorry dear I am not fan of poetry, so didn't read Iqbal's books.

@Aijaz bhai Udas Naslain is also good read, but if you didn't read Nadar Loag you should read it, I hope you will like it. I didn't read Quratul ain Hadier but want to read her. Thanks for sharing.
    You must read "Pyar ka pehla shehar" of Tarar Sahib. I think this is the best romantic novel I ever read in Urdu. Very nice master piece to relax your mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Aijaz bhai i have read some of his safarnamay but they looked imaginary coz every other girl was falling in love with Tarar sahab, lol. but I will definitely try to read it. Thanks

12. Thanks umairel thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tehzeebi Nargasiat BY MOBARAK HAIDER (Prof. Punjab University) ------ (Free at)
    http://*****************/books/urdu/te....php?fldr=book

The book above depicts the current or present situation of Pakistan in particular and Muslims in general.

Khilafat or Malookiyat BY Maolana Maudodi --------------(Free at) http://www.scribd.com/doc/14008410/K...a-Maududi-Urdu

Second book beautifully narrates the era of Khulfa-e-Rashdeen especially the major policy decisions of the time.After reading this book you can relate past with present.

Certainly after reading these two books one will definitely find answers to many contemporary questions.

Both Books are Highly Recommended

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent effort from you Waseem bro to promote one more (one of the rarest on this forum) thread dedicated to the literature and fiction writing. Not much time ago I also posted a similar kind of thread where I inquired about the decline in quality and quantity of meaningful literature in Pakistan and guess what how much replies that thread of mine generated less than two figure mark. That sort of reaction from the forum members was in itself a clear indication or may I say a revelation for me to understand the phenomena of this decline of attenuating habits of book readings (Not the curricula of academies and universities per se) among the wide spectrum of different age groups of Pakistan especially among the major chunk of our cyber and electronic infested youth. Subsequently I can sense the eventual effects which stems from this sort of negligence and indifference among the people of Pakistan like deficiency to speak and write effectively and free from errors (Both in Urdu and English mediums), the subsequent decline of content and subject matters of drama, theatre & feature films and poor awareness of their cultural, traditional and ideological values. However I hope that on this thread the response rate among the members might improve and further discussions might take place on some specific literary masterpieces of some selective line of literates and intellectuals of Pakistan and the English speaking western nations. Some of my personal favourites among the literature are as follows;

· Kimiya E Sadaat (The Alchemy of Happiness) of a legendary Imam of Islam Al Ghazali RA
    · Mishkat ul Anwaar (The Niche of Lights) by Imam Al Ghazali
    · Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam by Dr Muhammad Iqbal
    · Dilip Kumar: The Star Legend of Indian Cinema by Bunny Reuben
    · Asrar e Khudi & Ramuz e Bekhudi by Dr Muhammad Iqbal

Among the fiction / fictional based forms of literature my favourite writers are as follows;

• Saadat Hassan Manto
    • Ahmad Nadeem Qasmi
    • Ashfaq Ahmad
    • Mumtaz Mufti
    • William Shakespeare
    Last edited by Bret Hawk; 27-Nov-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate brother Waseem for initiating very valuable thread. some of my favorite books are as follows:

• Iḥya Ulum Id-dīn( The Revival of the Religious Sciences ) and other books of Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (May Allah Bless Him)

• Books of Baba Ashfaq Ahmed (R.A.)

• Chiragh talay and Khakam ba dahan : Mushtaq Ahmad Yusufi

• Bajang Amad : Col. Muhammad Khan

• Shahab Nama : Qudrat ullah Shahab

• humaa yaran dozakh : Siddiq Salik

• Book about Sultan Salahuddin Ayubi (Sorry, I Forgot the name) : Qamar Ajnalvi

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

All the colours are very attractive

the one spinkled by allama iqbal must be the need of all times - the prsent past and future

take care of it - it is an extremely precious inheritance that we need to preserve and follow for ourselves and our identity as heirs of iqbal and other respected ancestors whose souls are looking forward to bring them soul consoling gifts from their beloved sons and daughters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be difficult to list my favorite book....but I will name the writers I love to read... Some books are in the wishlist....which I will read when I go back Inshallah

All novels of Nasim Hijazi.... Alakh Nagri (Mumtaz Mufti), Zavia 1,2,3 (Ashfaq Ahmed), in peotry Allama Iqbal and Mathnavi Molana Roum.... Shahab Nama is my all time favorite...Nahj al Balagha (Khutbat of hadrat Ali R.A), Tazkiray or Suhbatain (Prof Tahir ul Qadri)

Wish list includes.. Piya Rang Kala, Kajal Kotha (Baba Yahya Khan) and Mecca Medina (Irfan Siddiqui)

@Admin:

We should also have an adbi section where people can write book reviews and tell others about the books they ve read...
    Last edited by Salik; 26-Nov-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    پاكستان ایك نور ہے۔۔۔۔ اور نور كو زوال نہیں۔۔۔

18. Likes barshad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing good books.

Refreshing good memories.

Dewan e Galib is very good also..

One of the master piece.

Ham ne mana k taghaful na karo gy lekin

Khak ho jain ge ham, tum ko khabar hone tak

Parveen Shakir was good too.
    Last edited by Raaz; 26-Nov-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for sharing you favorite books.

@ Salik brother, I would love to have this section but for that I need to know how many members want this section, and it will be judged if members start posting stuff on literature in non - siasi forum initially.

21. Likes barshad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think, you guy must not forget
    Urdu Ki Aakhri Kitab

Here is the online link
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/43878672/Urdu-Ki-Aakhri-Kitab

by Ibne-Insha

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhh!!! na kero waseem.. Aisay na kero. muje wo haseen din na yad dilao jab mein kesay kesay shahkaroon k mazay leta tha. hay hay. kin jhamelon mein daal diya dunya walon ne. ab haal yeh hai k fursat nai milti, werna meri zindagi ka sab se bada shauq tha ye. kahan gaya wo mumtaz mufti, kahan gaiin wo baano ji, kahan k ashfaaq sahab, aur shahaab ji. Aur Ahmad basheer ko kyun bhool gay sab, boht thoda likha lekin jo likha kamaal ka likha. ae kaash k woh din phir se laut aaen. kya zindagi pichli sadii mein bhi aisi jhamelon aur afra tafri wali rahi hogi. kitni sahooltain deen science ki taraqi ne per insaan se ous ki fitri cheezain sab cheen leen. hay! kesay hotay hun gay wo din jab duur perdes mein bethay apnon k khaton ka mahinon intazar krtay hun gay. aur aik aik khat ko hazaron bar perhtay hun gay. khud engineer hun per iss taraqi aur technology se sab zyada nafrat bhi shayad muji ko hogi. kya yad kerwa diya yar waseem. tera kakh na javay yar.

Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One book I think every Muslim atleast every Pakistani should read even if just once is "Reconstruction of religious thought in Islam" by Allama Iqbal. All children aged 15 onwards should be encouraged to read this one, Thankyou BretHawk for bringing it up.
    This is not just a great book on the religious thought but also excellent english prose writting, and if aperson can reda this through trust me they can improve their language by miles.

Intermediate
    Post Thanks / Like

QURAN is the only Book which we all must read and understand. It is the only book of "KNOWLEDGE" and if we can understand it first then only we will develop the capacity to analysis any material/informations.

we must pray Allah to give us courage and determination to understand QURAN.

26. Likes KK YASIR, barshad liked this post

Advanced
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aqeel813 View Post
    Ahhhhhh!!! na kero waseem.. Aisay na kero. muje wo haseen din na yad dilao jab mein kesay kesay shahkaroon k mazay leta tha. hay hay. kin jhamelon mein daal diya dunya walon ne. ab haal yeh hai k fursat nai milti, werna meri zindagi ka sab se bada shauq tha ye. kahan gaya wo mumtaz mufti, kahan gaiin wo baano ji, kahan k ashfaaq sahab, aur shahaab ji. Aur Ahmad basheer ko kyun bhool gay sab, boht thoda likha lekin jo likha kamaal ka likha. ae kaash k woh din phir se laut aaen. kya zindagi pichli sadii mein bhi aisi jhamelon aur afra tafri wali rahi hogi. kitni sahooltain deen science ki taraqi ne per insaan se ous ki fitri cheezain sab cheen leen. hay! kesay hotay hun gay wo din jab duur perdes mein bethay apnon k khaton ka mahinon intazar krtay hun gay. aur aik aik khat ko hazaron bar perhtay hun gay. khud engineer hun per iss taraqi aur technology se sab zyada nafrat bhi shayad muji ko hogi. kya yad kerwa diya yar waseem. tera kakh na javay yar.
    You are absolutely right my friend. I still remember those days when I was studying abroad and whenever my AMMI sent me any parcel, I always asked her to send me some copies of The Daily Jung and Akhbar-e-Jehan, and then we friends used to read these papers repeatedly many times. I read Tarzan Stories or even Tender Notices published in Jung. Those days are gone now.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast