Siasat.pk Forums
View RSS Feed

AsifAmeer

Rights and Privileges

Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.




Rights and Privileges


There is a saying in the United States - “Driving is a privilege and not a right”. I am using roads -‘a public property’ for my personal use and because of that, my rights of mobility are curtailed and I have to be in compliance. My car has to be of a minimum standard. I should have insurance for accident so if I ever hit someone’s car, damage to the other party is covered by my insurance company. I have to have correct vision and should understand road signs. If I fail any of these tests, my license is revoked. This is not an oppression of the State but a maintained level of justice for all citizens to use (and not abuse) the public resources equally. It is important to understand the difference between rights and privileges. Anything that is provided to me that bears a cost, cannot be a right because of the cost factor. If anyone other than me, is paying for that service, that service cant be my right. With this in mind, lets try to logically define “the fundamental rights”.

1. Right to exist.
You are born free of slavery. One has the right to live and protect oneself. “Treat me the way, you want to be treated”. If you protect me, I will protect you. If you fight me, I maintain the right to fight back. I do not have the right to take anyone’s life nor does anyone else has the right to kill me. Pretty straight forward stuff.

2. Right to choose one’s religion.
As parents are the initial guardians of their child and his basic rights, they choose that child’s religion for him initially. No other entity has a say in that child’s belief. Once the child is mature enough, he maintains the right to change his religion.

3. Right to the fruits of their labor.
A free man has the right to his fruits of labor, minus the social cost via the social contract. Whatever money you make with your labor, you have the right to it. And this is key. This lays the foundation for private property and an Economic model.

Notice that none of the above rights cost anything to anyone other than the person himself. If any other rights are added, they would end up violating this 3rd right - someone else’s fruits of labor. For eg. You cannot have Education as a right because there is a teacher involved. If a child has a right to education, then that child’s right violates the rights to fruits of labor for the teacher. If healthcare is a right, then that right of the patient violates the fruits of labor for the doctor.

It sure does “feel” good to make education and healthcare as Fundamental Rights, as long as I am not paying for it! This very fallacy has manifested itself in the Eurocrisis. The right to Roti, Kapra & Makaan for Pakistanis has costed Roti, Kapra & Makaan!

Problem with Pakistan today is that it has mixed up privileges with rights. Every privilege has become a right, hence the sense of entitlement. Citizens expect every problem be fixed by the Government, even when the government is the cause of the problem. e.g. Inflation due to deficit spending, corruption due to inflation, blackmarkets due price-controls. There needs to be a fundamental shift in the minds of the people what the role of the Government is. Government is nothing more than an ‘Apartment Association’ or a ‘Community Association’. Governments do not provide services without someone somewhere paying for it. Its usually in the form of Inflation and corruption. The more the services you ask the Government to provide, the more corruption you will see around you with lesser the service! Politics robs the ‘spiritual’ aspect of a service that is provided to its citizen due to the sense of entitlement.

Lets keep government out of Economics, Science and religion to preserve the latter. Lets limit government to the protection of life, property and justice for all so hardworking citizens can roll up their sleeves and feel sweetness of their own fruits of labor.


Asif Ameer trades equities, bonds and derivatives in the International Capital Markets. He can be reached via Twitter @AsifAmeer_AP
0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes

Comments

  1. anas ajaz's Avatar
    enjoyed reading...
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  2. Unicorn's Avatar
    Short, sweet and right on.(clap)
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  3. AsifAmeer's Avatar
    @anas ajaz

    I usually keep my articles over precise and short, built on a very simply idea. I have other similar articles covering Pakistan's provincial issues, its Rupee depreciation and inflation issues. Very simply articles. Let me know what you think
    http://blogs.thenews.com.pk/blogs/author/asif-punjwani/

    Quote Originally Posted by anas ajaz
    enjoyed reading...
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  4. AsifAmeer's Avatar
    beauty is in simplicity. With a solid simple strong foundation, you can build a skyscraper of ideas on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn
    Short, sweet and right on.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  5. iceburg's Avatar
    very right........
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  6. Bret Hawk's Avatar
    Asif to me you’ve spoiled the gamut of your article by trying to solicit the age old sophistry of the separation of religion with the governance, which can trigger more repulsive forces to dismantle and disorient the shape of any commonwealth / state of the world.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  7. AsifAmeer's Avatar
    Was trying to share a libertarian concept to Pakistanis. Religion is personal and even social but NOT VIA Govt powers! If you are Pakistani and you know what "Roti Kapra Makaan" means, you'd get an idea of what Govt would do to religion to achieve its goals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Hawk
    Asif to me you’ve spoiled the gamut of your article by trying to solicit the age old sophistry of the separation of religion with the governance, which can trigger more repulsive forces to dismantle and disorient the shape of any commonwealth / state of the world.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  8. dellacer's Avatar
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [B]2. Right to choose one’s religion.[/B]
    [LEFT]As parents are the initial guardians of their child and his basic rights, they choose that child’s religion for him initially. No other entity has a say in that child’s belief. Once the child is mature enough, he maintains the right to change his religion.[/LEFT]
    [/COLOR]

    I STRONGLY DISAGREE with it .US friend.

    What Islam Says about it?

    Islam does not consider as a right to change Religion for any Muslim. Why? Because Islam is the only true religion. So how come somebody leaves truth and follows wrong path. Islam tries to save Muslim Community by stopping them. Otherwise most of the liberals, impressed by western values people may take the wrong turn of di$a$ter.

    Example to understand correctly:
    If you are serving in US army, and you betray US army rules and regulations and goes against US Army as a whole, you will be executed straight away by US Justice.

    Now why double standards in US, if any Muslim tries to change, he is [I]protected [/I]by US law, but if any one betrays its Army institution he is executed. Error Found isn't it. Now don't copy paste this error in Muslim Countries.

    The kernel of Successful Muslim society is Islam. If removed, no human values will remain in that society, as we can witness in current age.

    West claims for Human Rights:
    Given a right to women. But not practiced. Example: Survey, Most women are paid less as compared to there Men working at same job. Women Football teams salaries compared to Men Football teams and 1000's of more examples.

    Women respect is compromised, result after every 30 seconds one women is raped in US alone.
    Concept of father has vanished. Children are recognized by there mothers instead of fathers. As fathers are in plenty, why because Marriage system collapsed, so relationship values practiced anymore.
    list goes on and on.

    The above are the man made rights which are a complete disaster.

    Muslim Empires lasted for 1000 years why, because of ISLAM Rules and Regulations including Rights made by God and when changed at end like you think, after 1000 year empire demolished because of replacing Islamic Laws.

    British, USSR, US 3 empires has collapsed within just 200 years time, why because of there own man made Rules and Regulations including Rights. Which is a complete mess.

    Don't play with ISLAM otherwise you will be history.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
    Updated 28-Apr-2012 at 02:37 PM by dellacer
  9. dellacer's Avatar
    Liberal Fascist not welcome at all on Muslim Land any where in the world.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  10. AsifAmeer's Avatar
    Its always a challenge to have a conversation with you.

    A few words about me. I was not born a Muslim, but a convert. I had to learn everything from the Kalima, to Wuzu, how to offer prayers, the surah, the durood, even reading the Quran in Arabic is a challenge for me. I usually listen to the Quran in Arabic and read the English translation.

    This religion of Muhammed (SAW) , is not the property of a Pakistani, nor is it a property of any Muslim. This religion is the Property of God. Mind it.

    Your ancestors and my ancestors were hindus, Parsis, buddhist. Some of them converted to Islam centuries ago. Some are still converting (like me). Some havent. Rules of Islam do not apply to Non-Muslim Pakistanis. Tell me, how does anyone else the right to decide how a Pakistani Parsi family decides to distribute its inheritances? How do you treat these Parsi and Bohri families who have lived on that land for over a THOUSAND years. Can you explain me why they should live under Hudood Ordinance?


    Funny you call me "FASCIST" when I am the one advocating a smaller role for the Govt. You sure you understand the world FASCIST?

    You can call me Liberal, you can call me facist, jewish, infidel.. Its ok with me.. I was born a Kaafir. Names dont bother me.

    Do me a favor, just ignore my posts in the future. I cant do what your parents didnt.

    Quote Originally Posted by dellacer
    Liberal Fascist not welcome at all on Muslim Land any where in the world.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  11. dellacer's Avatar
    if I offended you. I do apologies.

    Lastly, brother, if Islamic Law is Practiced in any part of Muslim World, then Sharia Law is imposed on Muslims only. Including Hudood Law and all other Islamic Laws are for Muslims.

    For non-muslims they have a right to live according to there own traditions and practices. Islam gives them security and guarantee to practice there religion.

    Sure Islam is not a personal property of individuals in world but its for the whole humanity for the betterment of humanity.

    Best Example is when Jerusalem was conquered Sultan Salauddin Ayubi, the Muslims Implemented Sharia Law but Christians and Jews were allowed to live according to there own religion. Now one has forced Hudood Law on Jews or Christians.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  12. mrcritic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AsifAmeer
    Its always a challenge to have a conversation with you.

    A few words about me. I was not born a Muslim, but a convert. I had to learn everything from the Kalima, to Wuzu, how to offer prayers, the surah, the durood, even reading the Quran in Arabic is a challenge for me. I usually listen to the Quran in Arabic and read the English translation.

    This religion of Muhammed (SAW) , is not the property of a Pakistani, nor is it a property of any Muslim. This religion is the Property of God. Mind it.

    Your ancestors and my ancestors were hindus, Parsis, buddhist. Some of them converted to Islam centuries ago. Some are still converting (like me). Some havent. Rules of Islam do not apply to Non-Muslim Pakistanis. Tell me, how does anyone else the right to decide how a Pakistani Parsi family decides to distribute its inheritances? How do you treat these Parsi and Bohri families who have lived on that land for over a THOUSAND years. Can you explain me why they should live under Hudood Ordinance?


    Funny you call me "FASCIST" when I am the one advocating a smaller role for the Govt. You sure you understand the world FASCIST?

    You can call me Liberal, you can call me facist, jewish, infidel.. Its ok with me.. I was born a Kaafir. Names dont bother me.

    Do me a favor, just ignore my posts in the future. I cant do what your parents didnt.

    Jazakallah for accepting Islam first.

    I disagree that Govt. should have a small role to play and be kept out of religion, problem is no one having the authority implements it properly. Half of the "CRIME" problems in Pakistan will be solved if a strict sharia law is applied and stronlgy abided by (Like in Saudia, sure some of the sheikhs might get away but still, the rapes/murders there are far far less than anywhere else!) This is my predicament.

    Islamic law is a just law, although your question about Hudood ordinance for a parsi is interesting, I will get back to you on that.

    Islamic law does not mean a 'taliban' style mountain living law but an equal oppurtunity for everyone if it's followed correctly.

    Islam is not the property of Pakistan as you say, but it is the ONLY country in the wolrd which was formed on the basis of religion, history can't be re-written. In 1948 when Israel was formed, the then PM said we dont fear any other country but Pakistan.

    No matter how corrupt and inept our rulers and aqaam are, there are still patriots living in and out of Pakistan.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  13. AsifAmeer's Avatar
    Problem with dragging the Govt in religion is because the Govt will distort religion. I am saying religion should be kept out of the hands of politicians to protect the religion. History is a witness to my argument.

    My ancestors have been from the old fishermen of Karachi. They must have been there before Islam came to the subcontinent. I am sure your ancestors share similar history. But Dr Israr thinks my parents are a "2nd-class" citizens in Pakistan. Just because they are not Muslims.

    Faith has been distorted to consolidate power. Never..never let power grow in the hands of a few.

    Quote Originally Posted by kj_gee
    Jazakallah for accepting Islam first.

    I disagree that Govt. should have a small role to play and be kept out of religion, problem is no one having the authority implements it properly. Half of the "CRIME" problems in Pakistan will be solved if a strict sharia law is applied and stronlgy abided by (Like in Saudia, sure some of the sheikhs might get away but still, the rapes/murders there are far far less than anywhere else!) This is my predicament.

    Islamic law is a just law, although your question about Hudood ordinance for a parsi is interesting, I will get back to you on that.

    Islamic law does not mean a 'taliban' style mountain living law but an equal oppurtunity for everyone if it's followed correctly.

    Islam is not the property of Pakistan as you say, but it is the ONLY country in the wolrd which was formed on the basis of religion, history can't be re-written. In 1948 when Israel was formed, the then PM said we dont fear any other country but Pakistan.

    No matter how corrupt and inept our rulers and aqaam are, there are still patriots living in and out of Pakistan.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  14. mrk123's Avatar
    Asif,

    Nice read. I think I know where you are coming from. I agree with the broader point you are trying to convey to the people who wait for "someone" to help them with what they are lacking in their lives. Since they can't figure out who that "someone" is they call it the government. They see it as an all encompassing entity that has unlimited resources and powers to aid and assist them with all of their needs. I believe this lack of understanding comes from being unaware of what government is let alone knowing what kind of government that they would actually want. They seems so disfranchised and unempowered that they think that someone else has to take care of them.

    I liked your reference to 'Apartment association' and 'community organisation' to convey your point. Though I think people to literally take those terms and try to take matters into their hands and not feel so helpless. Leaving too much to the government, as you rightly suggested, creates more problems than it solves.

    I liked the way you simplified the argument. You get what you pay for - money doesn't come from a vacuum. Again, there is so much disconnect between the people and the government (or powers to be) and since the people claiming to be representative of the people are not the true representatives that this situation has led people to believe that government is some abstract entity without understanding what goes into making a government work and what THEIR role in that government is. In Pakistan, since people don't get involved in their communities and don't feel that they have a stake in how their communities are run and managed - they don't have a say and don't even ponder about how their voices can be added to what happens in their local communities. They don't care how education is imparted to their kids or what rules and regulations should be adopted in their cimmunities that directly impact them. This lack of interest shows up all the way to the federal government. The vested interests take advantage of this 'dont care' attitude. What people need are civic lessons.

    One other point I would like to comment on. I am an advocate of smaller and efficient governments but I am also wary of the tendency of the humans to exploit others whenever they are left unchecked. I believe strongly on societies and communities and the collective responsibility that comes with it. Even though I agree that most powers should be devolved to the local levels I do think that a child born in the community has a right to education and medical care and other needs to make him/her a healthy and useful member of the community. I know that there are lot of complexity involved with this issue. Some would say that the parents should be responsible for providing the needs of their child but I still think that the society and community has some role to play there and I also understand that there is a cost associated with it but members of the community have to make that decision.

    I guess I will stop here as I seem to ramble on and on ....I am writing as the thoughts coming to me. May be I would wait to see if it made any sense to you before we discuss it more. Will wait for your comments.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  15. AsifAmeer's Avatar
    Although I still feel that education cannot be the right nor can healthcare. But living in a civilized economy, stability brings productivity. The productivity brings in huge surpluses. Living with the above mentioned rules will result in Universal Education via increase in productivity and specialization. Imagine the life 500 years ago and the life today. Productivity makes the costs of necessities negligible, like water. Once there is excess in the society, priorities can be set for poverty, education and healthcare. But that has to come from Productivity/Savings/Capital/Surplus. When there is no surplus, its pointless to discuss priorities as there is no surplus to begin with.

    So I agree with you that education should be subsidized but thru the surplus. Today, Govt's deficits exceed 30% of the gdp. Its pointless to speak of Education and healthcare or even poverty.

    Only thing I can think of to corner the Govt to balance its budget and reduce inflation is to threaten her by refusing to accept Rupee. Use Yen/Krona/Gold/Silver to do daily business. Just the hint of this protest is enough to force the govt to get serious about its finances.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrk123
    Asif,


    One other point I would like to comment on. I am an advocate of smaller and efficient governments but I am also wary of the tendency of the humans to exploit others whenever they are left unchecked. I believe strongly on societies and communities and the collective responsibility that comes with it. Even though I agree that most powers should be devolved to the local levels I do think that a child born in the community has a right to education and medical care and other needs to make him/her a healthy and useful member of the community. I know that there are lot of complexity involved with this issue. Some would say that the parents should be responsible for providing the needs of their child but I still think that the society and community has some role to play there and I also understand that there is a cost associated with it but members of the community have to make that decision.
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes